DENMARK - Danish agriculture minister Dan Jorgensen has agreed to new pig welfare targets with producers, vets and animal welfare campaigners.
Some of the targets include:
- Improve survival rates among piglets.
- Encourage uptake of free-farrowing systems for sows — at least 10 percent of sows by 2020.
- Find alternatives to castration without anaesthetic by 2018 latest.
- Reduce numbers of tail-docked piglets.
- Lower incidence of stomach ulcers in both sows and finishing pigs
In addition, a project for new housing design will focus on welfare considerations and the meat industry and retail trade will provide consumers with a greater choice of higher welfare products.
TheMeatSite News Desk