TheMeatSite.com - TheMeatSite.com - news, features and articles for the meat processing industry

News

US and Canadian Hog Inventory Down Two Per Cent

29 October 2010
National Agricultural Statistics Service

US - This publication is a result of a joint effort by Statistics Canada and the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) to release the total inventories of hogs, breeding, market hogs, sows farrowed, and pig crop for both countries within one publication.

US and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for September 2010 was 76.8 million head. This was down 2 per cent from September 2009 and down 5 per cent from September 2008. The breeding inventory, at 7.07 million head, was down 2 per cent from a year ago and down slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 69.8 million head, was down 2 per cent from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 35.5 million head, was down 2 per cent from 2009 and down 4 per cent from 2008. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 3.61 million head, down 2 per cent from 2009 and down 6 per cent from 2008.

US inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 September 2010 was 65.0 million head. This was down 3 per cent from 1 September 2009 but up 1 per cent from 1 June 2010. The breeding inventory, at 5.77 million head, was down 2 per cent from last year and down slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 59.2 million head, was down 3 per cent from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 28.5 million head, was down 1 per cent from 2009 and down 3 per cent from 2008. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.91 million head, down 2 per cent from 2009 and down 6 per cent from 2008.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 October 2010 was 11.9 million head. This was down 1 per cent from 1 October 2009 and down 7 per cent from 1 October 2008. The breeding inventory, at 1.30 million head, was down 4 per cent from last year and down slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.6 million head, was down slightly from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.0 million head, was down 5 per cent from 2009 and down 8 per cent from 2008. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 702,000 head, down 5 per cent from 2009 and down 9 per cent from 2008.

TheMeatSite News Desk



Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Meat Cuts and Muscle Foods - 2nd Edition